aboutfaqfeaturesgalleryblogrollcontact

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Etspiration Wednesday: The Subway Roll

A picture is worth a thousand words. As it turns out, the opposite is darn true as well. Words are powerful. We love the ideas they inspire. We love their shapes (self confessed font nerd). We love the images they conjure. Words are art.

So the subway roll is a big trend right now and it's blossomed from a mere laundry list of locales to well, anything. Make a subway roll about your favorite wines. Make a subway roll about your hobby. Your life. Your kids.

Here's a salute to some great examples of using words as art.


1A: Paris Sign Image Courtesy PamelaJoyceDesigns
1B: Eat More Cake Pillow Image Courtesy SewEnglish
1C: Life The Life You've Imagined Stencil Image Courtesy Maisondestencils.com
1D: You Is Kind Canvas Image Courtesy EpiphanysCorner

Have you seen (or read) The Help yet? That's what image 1D is from. If you haven't seen it, do not stop, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars and go rent it now. So great!


2ABC: West Village Sign Image Courtesy Maisondestencils.com

This image is a custom Laura made for her boyfriend. He grew up in the West Village and she incorporated different elements of his life, his school, his address, his favorite bars into a typographic life story. We do customs all the time if you are interested in making something like this.


3A: Life is Beautyfull Chair Image Courtesy Urban Farmgirl
3B: May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor Sign Image Courtesy PamelaJoyceDesigns
3C: Night Owl Pillow Image Courtesy SewEnglish
3D: Music Gives A Soul To The Universe Sign via Pinterest

The minute I saw 3B I knew I had to include it. I am a Hunger Games fanatic and this is a quote from the book. The movie adaptation comes out today but I can't see it for two weeks since we promised my sister-in-law we'd see it with her when we go on vacation. I have deleted my bookmarks to Entertainment Weekly and Facebook. I will not have any details spoiled! I think I'll covet this awesome sign instead!

4A: Start Being Awesome Sign Image Courtesy House of Hepworths
4B: Subway Sign Dresser Image Courtesy Lindauer Designs
4C: Peace Love Rock & Roll Stencil Image Courtesy Maisondestencils.com

So I just love the quote from 4A. I didn't even realize that it was a quote from How I Met Your Mother until I went to get image permissions from the seller. Upon reflection, it is exactly something Barney Stinson would say. I wonder if there are rubber wrist bracelets that say "What Would Barney Do?"


5A: You Are My Sunshine Stencil Image Courtesy Maisondestencils.com
5B: I Love You Blogs and Coffee Print Image Courtesy Jennifer Ramos
5C: Subway Sign Chair via Pinterest

5B is my current mantra!


6A: Be Thankful Sign Image Courtesy Lilblueboo
6B: Mr. & Mrs. Pillow Image Courtesy SewEnglish
6C: Rock Bottom Stencil Image Courtesy Maisondestencils.com

Can you tell we have an obsession with SewEnglish? Her pillows are so fun, fresh, and ahem, slightly cheeky. Check out her Etsy shop to see what we mean. :D

Many thanks to all our willing collection participants. This was a ton of fun to put together.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank you so much for including my "Start Being Awesome" sign in your roundup! I'm so glad you like it. I love all the other examples you listed as well. I might have to do some shopping this afternoon... :)

    ReplyDelete